The Cracked Conch

I recently spent two weeks in Georgetown, Grand Cayman and ended up being amazed by the depth and breath not only by the beauty of the beach and the ocean but by the wide variety of food. And not just food, but fine dining.  As most of my friends know, I LOVE good food! Wherever I go, I make it my mission to find the best restaurants.


One lazy afternoon, I ventured out with the car. This was my first time driving on the opposite side of the road, just like they do in England. I felt like a 16 year old, just learning to drive!  It was a bit intimidating, but no guts, no glory. My new friend Kirsten, also an American, gave me a valuable piece of advice. Since the drivers seat was on the left side of the car (normal for us here in the good old USA), as long as the curb was on my side, I was on the right side of the road. It worked. (Kirsten, you are brilliant!)


As I love to do, I simply drove until I got lost, but honestly, how lost can you get on an island. Just look for the water as all roads lead back to George Town. Part of my wandering took me into neighborhoods which the average tourist wouldn't see, some stunning and some not so stunning, but interesting no matter what. I had to brake for chickens, turkey's, tourists, and the icing on the cake was braking for iguana's. How often does THAT happen?


The highlight of my drive was lunch. Located on the Northwest end of the island, I found the Cracked Conch, Grand Cayman. Since it was late in the day by the time arrived, as luck would have it, I had the entire restaurant to myself.  A Key West-style house, painted white with quaint blue shutters, the Cracked Conch sits perched on a rocky cliff overlooking a popular dive spot. Soothed by the Caribbean wind, I watched the dappled sunlight on the surf and sighed with sheer relaxation.  With my book in hand for entertainment, I settled in for what proved to be an amazing lunch.
  
What a culinary experience! Appetizers included the typical Conch Chowder ($9), Cracked Conch ($11) and Honey Jerk Tuna Tartar ($12). Entrees included Jerk Pork Belly Sandwich ($13), Chicken Tikka & Arugula Salad ($13) and Mahi Mahi ($15). With that in mind, here is what my tastebuds danced with:
  • Appetizer:  Conch Ceviche ($11) served with tomatoes, red onions, cucumber water lime juice, avocado and cilantro.  This dish was like eating sunshine! The conch was so thinly sliced, I could see through it and it literally melted in my mouth.  The Chef had added a touch of Scotch Bonnet peppers to the dressing, so the splash of citrus combined with the warmth of the peppers was delectable.
  • Entree:  Tuna Nicoise ($16) which included seared tuna, poached egg, french beans, fingerling potatoes, tomato & black olives, vinaigrette. Typically when we have a Tuna Nicoise salad, it consists of canned tuna with a hard boiled egg on top of a mound of lettuce.  The sheer surprise of how well all of the ingredients melded together ... who would have thought of combining fresh seared tuna with a poached egg. And not one leaf of lettuce inside.  This dish was served warm and was exquisite.
  • Because the first two dishes were incredible, I had to move onto Dessert. I was already full so couldn't imagine eating one more bite but because the appetizer and entree were so full of flavor, I couldn't imagine that dessert would be a disappointment. It would have been like a PBJ with out the bread. All things must come full circle so I chose Pineapple Ravioli. Yes, you read right. Pineapple Ravioli.  Two ravioli pastries stuffed with sweet, fresh pineapple, served over pineapple foam and a bright pineapple sorbet on the side, with a sprinkling of powdered sugar tying the ingredients together.
  
For anyone bound for Georgetown, Grand Cayman, whether by ship or by air, be sure to put the Cracked Conch on your "To Do" list because for me, this will be on my Top 10 favorite restaurants in the world. The Cracked Conch is only open December through May and local attractions include the Turtle Farm and the Swim with the Dolphins Theatre.  I have no idea what a taxi would cost you to get there, but you could combine sightseeing and lunch ... and then head back to the ship or your hotel.  It's worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Days Count versus Counting the Days.

Walk Down Memory Lane

What Is A Nap?